Preferred travel zoom for m4/3?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
MatsP
Contributing MemberPosts: 960Gear list
Like?
Re: Preferred travel zoom for m4/3?
In reply to Jim in Hudson, 4 months ago

On my last trip I had my 12-40/2, 8 and 40-150/4-5, 6 with me. I used the 40-150 to only about one per cent of all pictures. On earlier trips before I got the 12-40 I used the 9-18 to maybe 50%, the 12-50 to about 40% and the 40-150 to 10%. But the 12-40 is so good that if I have it around I don't want to use anything else. The 40-150 is nice to have sometimes, but I am not sure I'll bother to take it with me on next travel for just a few shots. Last time I only used it for a storch and a flamingo that happened to show up and those were no necessary pictures. I thought the 9-11mm range that I got from the 9-18 was important for me but I found that I was happy enough with 12 mm as the widest also in the narrow streets of historic Sevilla and in the cathedral.

This experience of mine leads me to the conclusion that the 12-40 is to recommend for travel if you can afford it and don't mind carry a little more weight. But remember you'll get similar or better IQ than an APS camera with a 17-55/2, 8 and not far at all from a FF with a huge 24-70/2, 8. Both weighs the double compared to an e-m5 with 12-40 so the mft advantage is still there.

If weight and size is very important I think I should prefer a good compact zoom camera with reasonable big sensor before a mft with kit zoom.

But that's me, for what it's worth.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow