Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nicodimus22
Contributing MemberPosts: 840Gear list
Like?
Owl out of ideas...
4 months ago

Went on a hike this evening, and just as the sun went down, I saw this over the path ahead, about 25 yards away:

It's a barred owl, one of my favorites. I'm sorry the focus isn't great, but the little branches in front were a problem. It was dim enough that I couldn't even see the branches until I got home and looked at the picture. I had to bump the exposure up 2.5 stops in post.

After a minute, it flew away to a farther tree (50 yards maybe?) and I got another shot off:

It's not going to win any photo awards, because I had to zoom in really far and the lighting conditions were...well, getting pretty dark. This had to be bumped up 2.6 stops. Anybody have experience shooting wild owls? It seems like the exposure would be a nightmare, let alone getting close to them. I've seen them before in captivity at a nature center, but not in the wild.

About 15 minutes before the owl, I also ran into a bobcat, but it was only visible for about 1 second. By the time I lifted my camera, it was gone into the bushes. Gave me a nice growl though.

-- hide signature --

"If I handed my 5-year old daughter my iPhone and asked her to take a picture of that, would your photo look any different from hers?" -Scott Kelby

nicodimus22's gear list:nicodimus22's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow