Filter stuck on lens - any tips?

Started Apr 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
Chuck Lantz
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,995Gear list
Like?
Re: Filter stuck on lens - any tips?
In reply to Bart7D, 4 months ago

The flat rubber mat works well, on a table top, while you hold the lens with both hands.  You can use one of those round rubber mats used to remove stuck caps on glass containers.  The trick is to turn the filter slightly the wrong way, like tightening it, as you put some weight on the lens.

If that moves the filter, even slightly, continue to move it clockwise and counter-clockwise, again very slightly, until the filter slowly frees itself.  If the threads have stripped, which they probably have from what you said, you may have to toss out the filter, since both the filter and lens threads will be stripped somewhat.  You can try to save both thread lands by using the sharp blade of a knife to clean out the stripped grooves.

-- hide signature --

"I'm hooked on The Look"
"If they're not screaming at you to get out of the way, you're not close enough" - I thought this was original, but it's very close to what someone else said. Oh, well.
"Not to compete whole-heartedly, with a will to win, degrades the sport and insults the competition" - anonymous Olympic long-distance runner
"Mongo not know ... Mongo just pawn in game of life." - Mongo
"Speed kills" - No, it doesn't. Speed has never killed anyone. It's the sudden stop that does it. - Me
http://www.ChuckLantz.com

Chuck Lantz's gear list:Chuck Lantz's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D700 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow