Preferred travel zoom for m4/3?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 13,368Gear list
Like?
Yeah, my purchase of the RX10 was related to the m4/3 2.8 zooms.
In reply to Lumixdude, 8 months ago

My purchase of the RX10 was more of a lark; I had already read the good reviews and I wanted a more advanced backup to my GH3 than my aging GH2s for video work. Simple math showed that it was cheaper to get the Sony with the excellent lens, than to get the two m4/3 2.8 lenses that I had been planning on. The Sony lens is arguably as good, and I got a weathersealed body in addition. It's been the best purchase I made since I bought the Sigma 60mm! I didn't even plan on doing it until I got up one morning and decided to go to a store and check it out. Lucky day, especially since I've had to make some videos for my school recently and the Sony allowed me to get continuous clips I couldn't have gotten if I had had to be continually changing lenses. Although I don't like "going back" to AVCHD from my GH3, I think that the video is just as good. Although I didn't get the camera for stills, it does very well - you can even get good shallow DOF and good bokeh if you plan your shot and use the longer end of the zoom.

I've been an m4/3 fan since I picked up one of the first GF1s to show up from Hong Kong - had to take white - and sold my dSLR stuff last year. So, I never thought I'd be praising a Sony hybrid/niche camera...but I have to admit they did a good job here.

Again, I'm straying from the OP's question, but anyone wanting a decent travel camera should consider the RX10.

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow