Oly 17mm 1.8, Oly 25mm 1.8 or the sigma 19mm?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
mh2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,662
Like?
Re: Oly 17mm 1.8, Oly 25mm 1.8 or the sigma 19mm?
In reply to TheOneWhoNeedsAdvice, 6 months ago

TheOneWhoNeedsAdvice wrote:

Hello fellow photographers!

i am about to buy a new lens, and I'm searching a wide or a "normal" (at least something wider than my 45mm)

i would like to shoot "semi-landscapes" and such and I find my 45mm too telephoto like. So my questions are:

Can you do semi-landscapes with a 25mm?

Does the Sigma have very bad AF, and how is the IQ?

And at last, is the 17mm too expensive when you compare it to the sigma in terms of IQ and AF (As far as I know is the 17mm lightning fast)

my current gear is the OM-D E-M5, the 75-300mm II and the 45mm 1.8

I hope you can help me!

Personally, I find that for landscape shooting, my Oly 17/2.8 pairs excellently with my Oly 45. I like the width of a 17 and the 2.8 is really quite decent for landscapes when stopped down to f5.6 and the 17/1.8 is a little nicer. For me, the main reason I consider upgrading my 17/2.8 for the 17/1.8 is for the scale focus feature and the VF-1 to make night photography easier.

If you are shooting stopped down, the Sigma 19 will be nice and will probably pair with the Oly 45 well.

Personally, I either go out with my 17 + 45 or my Sigma 30... kind of mimicing my film days of either a 35mm + 90 or 50mm.

I find the Oly 45 to be really useful for landscapes. Just did a shoot at the Chiricahua NP and took my 17+45 hiking. I'll post a link to a gallery when I get it up. Best!

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
zoomNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow