Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Ednaz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,376
Like?
counterintuitive, I know
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 6 months ago

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

Ednaz wrote:

If that sky was crazier, going to 12mm or so would have been crazy good.

Going to 12mm would have backed me up and shown a lot of unattractive foreground???

IF the sky was crazier looking, 12mm or more would have let you put the mildly interesting sea and other stuff in the bottom 1/8 of the frame, with crazy sky above.  By crazy sky, I mean sky that most people would say "never have seen that before!"

By and large, I think that UWA zooms are indoor lenses, or tight urban landscape lenses. Big wide visual fields, it's hard to get the width of an ultra wide to be harmonic with its height, or vice versa. Not that I don't have outdoor landscape shots that I think work, but when you've got that kind of field of view, you need to be in a place where everything you can see makes you breathless.

You sure threw me for a loop with that one. You say you are an UWA addict but you don't use it for landscapes / nature type shots? Only inside and in cities?

I shoot very little landscape.  But when I do shoot landscape, I find that lenses that compress perspective (back up and shoot long focal lengths) usually work much better than wides.  Wides push everything in the distance range apart, so unless you're trying to isolate the foreground with background context, or layer foreground action with background commentary.

UWAs don't necessarily support intent for general landscapes.  Indoors, or in tight urban environments (in the picture I posted, both streets are one lane wide...) UWA lenses let you layer two layers in compact, maybe claustrophobic spaces.  If you think you want more of the horizontal interest, usually a horizontal stitch will beat a UWA rendition, unless the sky or foreground is legendarily good.  Ultra-wides are also ultra-talls... horizontal stitches are ultra wide without being ultra tall.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow