Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ConanD
Regular MemberPosts: 133Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 Banding Issue...
In reply to _sem_, 8 months ago

_sem_ wrote:

ConanD wrote:

Some have asked for an example. I was boosting the shadows on an image this morning and clearly saw the banding in the dark areas. I have seen this before in other images I've adjusted as well (all of them having huge contrasting dark areas.)

This image was processed in iPhoto (not my normal software). All I did was boost the shadows close to the maximum. Did not alter contrast or exposure.

I'm not trying to generate hysteria or claiming there's something wrong with the camera, lens, et. al. Just putting this here to show an example.

Yes sunsets are often good examples of why one might want a sensor with lots of DR (when you don't want to blow the sky but want to show whatever you can see in the shadows but looks like almost total darkness in the OOC image). HDR with multiple exposures might of course work better, assuming that a longer exposure is feasible (wind etc).

It is difficult to tell how many stops the shadows were lifted with pp like this, since various raw converters have various controls. But you can estimate by doing another conversion where you try matching the brighness of the shadows using just positive EC.

JPG or NEF, 12 or 14 bits if NEF (not using 14 bits does not make sense for such purposes)?

The image was taken with NEF 14bit Lossless compressed -- which is how I always shoot.

With regards to statements of not seeing it in RAW images without processing:  That seems obvious.  The banding doesn't show up for me until I attempt to alter exposure, shadows or blacks in post processing (using Lightroom slider labels as reference, here).  I've never seen banding straight off the camera.  However, I have seen banding, sometimes very strong, in images that are either underexposed (intentionally or not, like my sunset image) and have had changes to exposure made in post processing, usually large changes.  And always in dark regions.  I think that's been well established at this point (?).  At least for those of us who have witnessed it.

I'll end by saying that I still like my D7100.  It will take great photos when used properly.  Maybe it could use a better sensor or something but it's still a good camera, I think.

ConanD's gear list:ConanD's gear list
Nikon D3100 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
THATNew
TrueNew
trueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow