ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
locke42
Regular MemberPosts: 167Gear list
Like?
Iffy autofocus from Zeiss FE35mm f/2.8?
4 months ago

Has anyone else experienced this?

I rented the Zeiss FE 35mm from LensRentals for Wondercon as a trial (I wanted to see if it would be a good fit for the Big One in San Diego), and for the most part it worked fine. But I did notice that it had a LOT of trouble acquiring focus.

I've been shooting with my Zeiss FE 55mm on the street for the past month or so, and I never had a problem acquiring focus, unless I was aiming on a low contrast subject. But cosplay is pretty much the opposite of "low contrast." It's all bright colors and sharp edges and lots of minute detail, and the pictures I DID take came out well, but even so, using the 35mm/2.8 was more of a chore than a joy, and I was cursing the autofocus by the end of the day. I was shooting mostly wide-open, only occasionally stopping down to f/4 or f/5.6 for some extra DOF in group shots, and using the Medium or Large movable spot.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone else experienced this. I accept the possibility that it was a bad copy, but the experience has pushed me ever closer to just getting something like the Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 and foregoing the autofocus entirely for this focal length.

locke42's gear list:locke42's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow