What do you think of this MF lens? wide open at f2.8.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,852
Like?
Re: What do you think of this MF lens? wide open at f2.8.
In reply to The Incredible Hoke, 8 months ago

ShawnHoke wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

ShawnHoke wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

ShawnHoke wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

Good photography oppotunities in life are too few and far between to use awkward lenses.

If you value your photography, use AF lenses.

That's not really true - if you value critical focus, manually focus.

I am not sure what makes "critical focus" in your book. I settle for the level of focus I get from my AF lenses. MF lenses would mean a lot of my photos wouldn't have been taken.

The key word here is "settle." Some photographers prefer not to settle.

Not to settle for what? check out my challenge entries, which image do you think suffer from "settled" focus accuracy? and which of these do you think could be more accurate with MF?

I have no idea what you mean by challenge entries.

Look up DPR challenge.

If you use AF (I use it too - a LOT) and are happy then we are both happy. I'm sure your pictures are lovely and correctly focused.

That is the whole point. there is no scientific evidence that MF yield better focus than modern AF.

Many landscape shots do not use AF because DOF covers infinity and AF is not necessary.

However, focusing on a point to maximize DOF is necessary. You don't just open it up to infinity and hope for the best.

Not sure what this has to do with AF. with AF, you get to choose which AF point to forcus where, too.

Correct, you do get to choose either way.

So you do concede that MF being used for landscape has nothing to do with its superiority but because its inferiority not being an bothering issue.

If you don't need MF, then that's fantastic, but don't assume that others don't "value their photography" if they use MF lenses.

That is taking what I said out of context.

Not really, you said: "If you value your photography, use AF lenses."

Really, you cutting it from the line above is taking it out of context.

"Good photography opportunities in life are too few and far between to use awkward lenses."

In the end, it doesn't matter what you or I use. No one else probably cares. I happily use both, but often prefer MF. Please don't let that ruin your day.

Do not flatter yourself, nothing you can say or do could ruin my day. we are debating over a point, whether MF lenses yield any meaningful benefit over AF lenses to compensate for its slowness that makes you miss shots. I am not seeing you producing any evidence or useful arguments to support that contention. Please confine your reply to the topic and less about what it does to me or my day.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow