Like?
definitely from a RAW file
In reply to GaryR57, 5 months ago

GaryR57 wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

GaryR57 wrote:

mosswings wrote:

GaryR57 wrote:

I was one of the ones here that requested an example of a "normal" shot with banding.

This example is far from what I would call "normal" as it seemed to have been shot way under exposed.

Thanks.

This is one of those shots in which the correct exposure is underexposure - since what the OP was trying to do is preserve color and detail in the sky. This throws the foreground into extremely deep shadow, made worse by the slight underexposure of the sky. So technically this is not a "normal" exposure, but it is a very common one done for an artistic purpose but also one that is extremely difficult for any camera to pull off owing to the extreme DR of the scene. In this case a multistop ND grad would have been a better approach, though a hassle.

Unfortunately for the D7100 and D5200, however, any other current Nikon camera in this situation would have not exhibited banding . One can argue that the D7100 is a more "filmic" camera and that it requires shot disciplines reminiscent of those employed during the film and early digital era - careful exposure, exposure bracketing and blending in post, etc...the first of these in particular a very good skill to have...but we have been spoiled by the last two generations of Nikon bodies.

Yes, I agree that there are various reasons why a person would want to take such a photo and it is a common technique.

But the OP replied to me in a post and said:

I see subtle "banding" in normal pictures.

Mako provided a good example of banding, but the file was a tiff and had been post processed. I would love to have a RAW file of such an example. There has not yet been such an example provided.

That was a normal image. It is very common to exposure for the highlights then pull shadows slightly in post. 1.3EV pull is normal and nothing excessive. I shoot RAW so all my images go from NEF to TIFF to JPEG.

Yes, like I said it was a good example of the banding in what appeared to be "normal" but was not a raw file.

Again, it was definitely from a RAW file (NEF). No RAW file shows banding as a RAW file is not an image.

I am curious to see what the RAW would do in my LR5 beginner hands.

LR/ACR supposedly shows it more prominently (going from NEF to TIFF/Jpeg via ACR). I normally go from NEF to Tiff via ViewNX2 or CNX2 so should be less an issue.

I guess I could always try and make a few myself

You could PM creaDVty directly and ask for the NEF's in his example. He's a very nice individual and often a great help.

Ok, I think I will give that a try.

I haven't noticed any banding in my "normal" photos but my skillset is well below most of the photographers on this forum. I shoot mainly landscapes and when I push shadows in CaptureNX2 and LR5 I don't see any banding.

Do you shoot Jpeg

no

, 12-bit RAW

no

, or 14-bit RAW?

yes

Then you may not see it at all. If you shoot JPEG or 14-bit RAW...it is far far less an issue.

Do you always expose the scene for the zone 5 elements at middle gray?

I usually shoot several. One letting the camera meter work in matrix default settings. Then one exposed for the highlights or sky. Then pick the one that seems to work best in PP.

What ISO?

For the most part I always try to get the shot in at ISO100 but that can change according to available light and if I am shooting hand held.

What RAW convertor?

CaptureNX2 and most recently LR5.x

Good, with CNX2 and 14-bit...you may be hard pressed to get it to show up.

All those things affect the issue.

I am new to LR5 and for my landscapes I have been doing as Anthony Morganti (youtube) does - create a starting point by flattening the image pushing the shadows all the way up, the highlights all the way down, then setting the black and white levels at near clipping with the alt key. I haven't noticed banding yet.

I hope I am not sounding argumentative here. That is not my intent at all. I just found the OP's statement ( I see subtle "banding" in normal pictures. ) very surprising in that have not seen that yet with my D7100 and hoped that he could post a RAW example.

Again, shoot 12-bit and a scene that would likely show the effect. Needs to have some shadow areas that are somewhat uniform in detail ( a bush pulled from the shadows will show very little banding compared to a wooden surface...for example) Also, much easier to notice on some monitors vs others.

Again...it's almost never an issue for most shots. If it was...Canon would have gone bankrupt

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
THATNew
TrueNew
trueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow