Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,085Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic 7-14 - Usage tips for UWA neophyte
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 3 months ago

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

richarddd wrote:

Move around for composition and perspective. Choose lens focal length for framing and aperture for depth of field.

Is that what you're asking?

No. I'm specifically wonder about reasons that would cause me to choose one lens (12-40 vs 7-14) over another in that situation, where the focal length of either would work.

I think Richard already provided the answer although in a rather abstract form. In simplified examples, we talk about changing the FL versus "zooming with your feet". In reality, it works that way only if your target is a brick wall. In other cases, it's a bit more complicated than that. There is a best spot from where to take the picture (once you have a vision of what you want to accomplish) and once you are at that spot, there is also an ideal framing and thus an ideal FL.

In the example with the "oak field" ("Ekhagen" in Swedish), I wanted the characteristic oak in the middle, still dark and naked although spring is apparent on the ground, without all that much interference from other things in the fore- or background. I also wanted a segment of the grass where it was filled with the yellow flowers (gagea lutea, don't really know the name in English). Finally, I wanted the scene counterlit but without the sun in the frame and with some surrounding trees partly in the frame tpward the edges to give a better sense of the environment. I eventually found a spot that fit the bill and once at that spot, it was just a matter of finding the proper FL.

If I had moved back and chosen another FL (even 12 mm which is close to the 10 mm I used), I wouldn't have been able to capture what I wanted to capture, e.g., because things would start to block one another in unwanted ways. Perhaps my vision of what to capture was not the best from this or that point of view. But that's a matter of preference so no hard rules apply.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow