Is this the best I can expect from D800?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Hasa
Regular MemberPosts: 423Gear list
Like?
Re: Is this the best I can expect from D800?
In reply to LesGoodey, 5 months ago

Hi,

I never shoot jpeg, only raw + processing in Lightroom. The Phase One Capture One converter is probably even better to bring out acuity.

I tried TIFF for a while with HDR/bracketing but the gain was minimal compared to shooting raw @ 100 iso where the Dynamic Range is usually sufficient for my needs.

Please use a flash in semi-darkness and manual focus @ F5.6 or 8 to check if your lens is sharp - I hope that rules out mirror slap effects, "the shakes", VR effects etc.

I was shocked to see how sharp my 35 mm Zeiss Distagon F2 is with a flash. Your Tamron will be much worse. A Zeiss Otus 55mm will be much better. A Sigma 35mm F1.4 will be the same or slightly better than the Zeiss - and will have AF.

The 2.8 zooms 70-200 / 80-200 & the 70-200mm F4 will be very, very good. The 200mm F2 is much "better" than those zooms along with the Zeiss 135mm F2. The middle ground cost-wise is covered by the Sigma 150mm F2.8 macro lens.

"better" = sharper, better bokeh - along with dramatically increased weight and cost.

The super wide-angle department is a problem - you should probably use your phase one camera with a super wide angle to get maximum resolution.

By problem I mean that there is no super wide angle that resolves as many lines per image height as the Zeiss Otus 55mm or the 200mm F2.

One cheap way - with stationary subjects - is to stitch a few images shot with e.g. the 35mm (Sigma or Zeiss).

Or else the opinion "out there" is the best there is are either the 14-24 mm f2.8 or the Zeiss 21mm.

Your Tamron will be much worse, but cheap and convenient

-- hide signature --

Smile and the world smiles back!

1:1 crop of the image below

This image is downsampled but shows the total view covered with the Zeiss 35mm and an extension tube + macro flash

1:1 crop of the image below

Downsampled image showing the entire field of view.

Teleconverters decrease sharpness. So I have to start out with a good lens like the 70-200mm F4 and I am OK with the result of adding the TC1.7x.

Hasa's gear list:Hasa's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow