Preferred travel zoom for m4/3?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
boxerman
Contributing MemberPosts: 642Gear list
Like?
Re: Preferred travel zoom for m4/3?
In reply to Jim in Hudson, 4 months ago

RELATIVE TO YOU: People have emphasized that you have to decide how much you are willing to carry. I like to travel relatively light, but I also want to be well-prepared, at least in once-in-a-lifetime situations. Some people don't mind changing lenses; others want to minimize that. So, you have to say what your personal preferences are.

RELATIVE TO WHERE YOU ARE GOING AND HOW YOU ARE GOING TO TRAVEL:

Here are some of MY reference types of travel:

1. Business - If I'm traveling for business, I want minimum fuss, size and weight, and ability to get "people" pictures (restaurants) and also museums and other evening entertainment. Busy during the day, typically. So, I just carry my 20 1.7. That's it.

2. Safari - At the other end of the spectrum, some trips are ALL about cameras. On my last safari I brought two bodies (one for video and backup, and wider lens; the other mostly with my longest zoom glued on it). And, I brought ALL my lenses, 9-18, 20, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, and I used them all. The only hassle was carrying the pack (not all that heavy) to the jeep in the morning, and back at night. No hassle in the jeep during the rides.

3. Typical "vacation." Going to a settle in at a park or the seaside? Often I'll take all my lenses, but only one body. But, as someone else said, if it's going to be a hassle (frequently moving with public transportation), I'll strip down. The 20, 12-50, and 40-150 is a good set, but I'd supplement with the 9-18 if I'm going to a European city or "big expanse" sites--or when I know I'll have the time and interest to get "art" shots. The 9-18 is tiny and light, so no big deal.

So, a lot of features of the "trip" play in, including transportation mode (hiking for several days?; lots of public transportation?; then go simple and light), subject (longest zoom you have for animals in the wild; wide AND bright for cities), and how you want to treat the trip. Is it FOR photography, or just travel snaps for the family?

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

boxerman's gear list:boxerman's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow