Preferred travel zoom for m4/3?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,106Gear list
Like?
Re: Preferred travel zoom for m4/3?
In reply to Klarno, 4 months ago

Klarno wrote:

Travel is, of course, relative. Some of us travel with our entire camera bags, packed to the brim with assorted gear. Others would rather bring one camera and not more than one or two lenses. And that's not even factoring in what focal lengths you most like shooting at.

The superzooms in this system are unusually good. The Panasonic 14-140 which was released alongside the GH1 as a video-centric lens that was always quite good for stills too. A common criticism of superzooms isn't so much image quality as it is laziness though: If you're not even inconvenienced to have to swap lenses from time to time, you'll just end up standing in one place and not working with your photos' perspective. That depends on the photographer though.

Most of the kit lenses are good to excellent, especially for their price. Pairing one of those with a compact telephoto zoom such as the m.Zuiko 40-150 or Panasonic 45-150 can get you a very long way.

If you want to look at primes, I consider the Sigma 19mm and 30mm together as being a great kit lens replacement. Also look at the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, or the Olympus 17mm f/1.8; great lenses with the perfect focal length for a walkaround lens.

What camera are you looking into? General wisdom says buy Panasonic lenses with a Panasonic body because for all but one of the Pany cameras that's the only way to get image stabilization (also because Olympus cameras can be prone to UV-induced purple fringing with some Panasonic lenses, but that can be cured with a Skylight filter). But besides that there are no problems using Olympus lenses on Panasonic cameras, or vice versa.

If you get the Panasonic GM1, the kit option for that includes a unique kit zoom--a pancake 12-32mm. Otherwise difficult to get stateside.

-- hide signature --

I'm considering the E-M1, E-M10, or E-M5. I had an E-P1 years ago but as hard as I tried I just never got comfortable with composing and shooting with the rear LCD. Between the former Oly and the current Pentax, I'm used to having IS for every lens and am reluctant to give that up.

I want to limit the the lenses to two and the DSLR is lot to lug around constantly. My wife and I are going on a tour of Israel next winter where we won't have much control over time so constantly changing lenses would be tough (or spending a lot of time finding vantage points).  A lot of outdoor and indoor venues so the needs are varied.  I'm also not all that fond of the Pentax JPEG engine and the thought of PP'ing a couple thousand photos seems like a time-waster, too.

If I don't go with an Olympus with EVF, I could opt to a Fujifilm. Probably would have done that already but then I'd give up the in-body stabilization (maybe that doesn't matter and it's "just me").

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax K-30 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow