Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Spiridakis Michael
Senior MemberPosts: 2,351
Like?
Olympus 45mm first taste....
8 months ago

OK, some days ago my son got me a little black Olympus 45mm lens and here are the first pics and just a taste of it...

So lets start from the classics...

Built quality, GOOD ++ mixed metal & plastic but not cheap.

Feeling ---->>> mixed

That means nice smooth and highly functional manual focus ring that you really can't determine if it is electronic or real manual, congratulations for this to Olympus as a lens like this needs the manual engagement of the user a lot more than a typical zoom or a wide angle lens...

But why I say mixed... I just wanted it to be a little more fatty.... the lens just look and feel... like a toy lens.... a little mistake of Olympus here... both for their user status on the field and more for the feeling of the lens in the hand... Coupled with EPL2 it looks like to be at home... but on Lumix G1 (that is a small camera in truth) the lens looks like a joke... Don't ask me how I felt today in my little outing with G1+45mm in my hand in front of a tourist with a Nikon + sigma 30mm 1.4 with its nice hood... Oh.. I was looking for a corner to hide myself... LOL... Olympus has seriously correct this mistake in the new 25mm...

Now... what about quality... Given that for the whole last year I was using a 30(+) year old OM 50mm f:1.8 this 45mm is better in resolution and of course it auto focus... It doesn't PF that much when shooting fully open in sunlight and anyway this PF is controllable... but It does suffer locally and occasionally by Axial chromatic aberration, or ongitudinal chromatic aberration and that is not correctable or fully correctable or it is about me that I don't know how to fix it, now is 30years OLD OM 50mm better on this... or 45mm is better... honestly I am confused and not be able at the moment to say for sure... At least the 45mm auto focuses... LOL

Bokeh is a lot better... but still needs to take care of it in Lightroom by making it a little softer applying local minus clarity...

Sharpness as resolution are a lot better but still need to study it in Lighroom... Its not a knife...

All in All... I feel lucky that I got it for 280 euros... and not for 400+ its price when firstly arrived in market... I feel 250 (with hood in the box) is its real price... Given that I found a silver second hand in pristine condition for 150 just two days after my purchase...

My personal conclusion - The lens is good but It didn't enthused + thrilled me like the 9-18

Lastly to add something that remembered just now... shooting buildings and small side streets in town it adds a nice 3D feeling...

-- hide signature --

www.spiridakis.gr

Olympus PEN E-PL2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow