D7100 Banding Issue...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
_sem_
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,235
Like?
Re: D7100 Banding Issue...
In reply to ConanD, 6 months ago

ConanD wrote:

Some have asked for an example. I was boosting the shadows on an image this morning and clearly saw the banding in the dark areas. I have seen this before in other images I've adjusted as well (all of them having huge contrasting dark areas.)

This image was processed in iPhoto (not my normal software). All I did was boost the shadows close to the maximum. Did not alter contrast or exposure.

I'm not trying to generate hysteria or claiming there's something wrong with the camera, lens, et. al. Just putting this here to show an example.

Yes sunsets are often good examples of why one might want a sensor with lots of DR (when you don't want to blow the sky but want to show whatever you can see in the shadows but looks like almost total darkness in the OOC image). HDR with multiple exposures might of course work better, assuming that a longer exposure is feasible (wind etc).

It is difficult to tell how many stops the shadows were lifted with pp like this, since various raw converters have various controls. But you can estimate by doing another conversion where you try matching the brighness of the shadows using just positive EC.

JPG or NEF, 12 or 14 bits if NEF (not using 14 bits does not make sense for such purposes)?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
THATNew
TrueNew
trueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow