Preferred travel zoom for m4/3?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,098Gear list
Like?
Re: Preferred travel zoom for m4/3?
In reply to Jim in Hudson, 7 months ago

Jim in Hudson wrote:

Which zoom lenses do people like for travel? I know the 12-40/2.8 is highly lauded but I'm not sure I want to plunk down $1000 for my first lens if I buy a m4/3 camera.

Expensive solution and kind of heavy for travel.

Are the 14-140 and 14-150 lenses good (I ask as I'm leery of 10:1 superzooms). If yes, what is best to pair for indoor-oriented shots? Many thanks in advance.

Yes. Both 14-140 lenses are sharp, with the first being slightly sharper in the center and the second being sharper across the frame. The second is also quite a bit smaller and lighter, thus making it a better travel choice.

Thus, the 14-140 on a body like the G6 or E-M10 is just about perfect to toss into your bag.

But ... I have been moving in a different direction. I like to have access to multiple lenses, so I have been buying smallish bodies to take with me. So if I travelled today, I would try to take the GM1 and its excellent kit lens, the E-PM2 with the 45 1.8 on it, and the GX1 with the Samyang 7.5.

I am probably going to grab either the GX7 or the G6 shortly so that I can toss the 100-300 in the bag as well for trips where I know I will be visiting a zoo or a nature area.

If I had to carry one camera and lens, that would be the GM1 and kit lens. The G6/GX7 with my older 14-140 is also a very viable alternative.

Obviously, this is always an age old question. I go back and forth and really cannot easily settle on one approach. I've tried them all on various overseas business trips and always come back with images I like.

Maybe it just does not matter

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow