Bokeh comparison between Sigma, Otus and Nikkor 58mm

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
coreyh
Contributing MemberPosts: 987Gear list
Like?
My Thoughts....
In reply to Dibyendu Majumdar, 5 months ago

The 58mm 1.4g is just not sharp enough for my liking.  You can slice it any way you want, but it is just not a sharp lens wide open.  It does sharpen up nicely by f2 and that is where I see a lots of photographers shooting @ with this lens.  I can't help but think they are shooting at this aperture because they want the extra sharpness, not because they want the extra depth of field, but I could be wrong and there actually may be photographers out there that purchase f1.4 lenses and faster just to shoot them stopped down.

I am not one of those.  I purchase f1.4 lenses to shoot @ f1.4 and stop down when I need which isn't very often because I like shallow depth of field.  I also like sharpness and the 58mm just looks like you smeared toothpaste all over the front element @ f1.4.  The Sigma however, looks very nice with high sharpness and most importantly, very good micro contrast wide open.  The 58mm is just soft and lacks contrast.

I can also enhance my bokeh very easily in post process by using a radial filter with a slight blur.  I cannot however, rid the 58mm of the lack of sharpness and micro contrast.

If the lens is capable of nice sharp images @ f2.0 and keep the nice bokeh like the 58mm does, then I see no reason except a screw up that it cannot shoot sharply @ f1.4 and also have nice bokeh.

I do see a lot of nice web size images from the 58mm.  They do have very nice bokeh, but when people are brave enough to post 100% crops @ f1.4 I cringe.

coreyh's gear list:coreyh's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow