70-200mm F4 on A6000

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Tuloom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,166
Like?
Re: No Point
In reply to kcamacho11, 5 months ago

kcamacho11 wrote:

This is just my opinion, but when I see pictures like this I ask myself what is the point of someone switching from a DSLR to small mirrorless cameras like the Sony's (which are amongst the smallest and lightest).

Options. And the end of being hogtied to one manufacturer's lens system.

The main reason why I switched from Nikon DSLRs to Sony NEX (now a6000) is to avoid carrying larger camera bodies, heavier/larger lenses and flash equipment. I was tired of lugging around all that gear during my vacation trips.

Me too, except for everyday use as well.

Today, I own an a6000 with 18-55, 55-210 and 35 F1.8. Those lenses are lighter than a darn caterpillar and my camera bag weighs a third of what it used to, if not more.

I have a lot of lenses that are even smaller than those. It's a joy being able to use them and carry in a bag the size of a coin purse.

I just do not understand what is the point of sticking a large and heavy lens on a small Sony mirrorless camera. I believe it defeats the purpose of owning a small system. Yes, it is "useful" to have an adapter for other lenses, but mounting a huge lens does not make your whole system small and light anymore. You make it heavier than a DSLR with kit zoom lens.

Options. That simple. Mirrorless can go back to being demure, unlike a pig DSLR.

To those that say, "an a6000 + 70-200 F2.8 is lighter than a DSLR + 70-200 F2.8"......really?
If you already have that enormous lens mounted, then what is 300-400 grams more???

Agree.

Not to mention, I think it looks ridiculous when mounted on a Sony NEX. But then again that's just me.

They all do. DSLRs look rather ridiculous with 70-200mm lenses, but we have 20 years acclimation to it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow