Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,633Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic 7-14 - Usage tips for UWA neophyte
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 7 months ago

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

Anders W wrote:

In this case, it isn't really to be blamed on the specific lens. Every UWA will be exactly the same in this particular regard.

So with next years' Oly 7-14 we can only hope for??

1. Faster lens
  2. Sharper photo
  3. Native, no purple blobs

But not lens glare/distortion issues?

Exactly!

Here are a couple of catches with the 7-14 from yesterday's little hike close to home. Would you have been able to tell that either of these are UWA shots if I hadn't let you know?

No. There is nothing there like my ridiculously wide building on the left of photo 5 in my OP.

Well, with landscapes, where there are not so many clues to let you know what things must actually be like, the distortion is often much less obvious, as in this case. And as I pointed out, you may not want/need to play with that distortion in every UWA shot. In this case, it was simply a matter of getting the right angle and the right framing from the right spot, based on what I wanted to achieve.

It is very encouraging that there is no glare in the second one. Did you have to fix in post?

No I didn't have to do anything in this case. My impression is that the problem is less serious when you have the sun pretty much straight ahead. Perhaps it also helped a bit here is that the sun is slightly blocked by the trees although, as you can see, it comes through pretty strongly.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow