Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Abrak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,331
Like?
Stopping down with M43 lenses...
3 months ago

I guess there is a general assumption with most lenses that stopping down from their maximum (as in widest) aperture by a stop or two increases sharpness. Now I am not really a pixel peeper and havent really noticed it my myself with most M43 lenses of which I have far too many.

So I am a little confused...

1) I definitely think that the 25 1.4 gets sharper if you stop down and DXO agrees. They say it is best at f2. So no problem there.

2) I also think the 45 1.8 benefits from stopping down to around f4. DXO says it is sharpest at f 1.8.

3) For all my other lenses - 75 1.8, 7-14 f4, 12-35 2.8, 35-100 2.8 I dont reall see the difference in stopping down and actually DXO broadly agrees (well in fact totally agrees... I think)

4) However I do notice that Ming Thein (for instance) always stops down on something like the 12-40 2.8 and his shots always look a lot sharper than mine (although that could obviously be explained by a whole host of reasons.)

So apart from the odd lens with M43 do you see any real benefit from stopping down. For instance I read that the 75 f1.8 is sharper stopped down a bit but then DXO says (apparently) it is sharpest at 1.8.

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Olympus/Olympus-MZUIKO-DIGITAL-ED-75mm-F18

Perhaps I am reading the DXO numbers wrong?

I mostly shoot wide open because I am inherently lazy/sloppy. I just wondered if I was missing much.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow