AlbertInFrance
Senior MemberPosts: 2,244Gear list
Like?
Re: What is your fav holiday country?
In reply to zxaar, 5 months ago

zxaar wrote:

AlbertInFrance wrote:

zxaar wrote:

http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/life/worlds-rudest-countries-travelers-309852

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/04/07/where-are-the-worlds-rudest-countries/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewbender/2012/04/03/the-worlds-rudest-nations-for-travelers/

Based on this france do seem to be rude. Which correlate with other things i heard too.

So that's three references to the same poll -- overwhelming evidence!

even one poll would be damning, and even if it came in first 10 it would be damning. It means that there are people who think that france is rude.

I'll let you into a little secret. There are people in this world who think that Germans are rude. There are people in this world who think that Americans are rude. There are people in this world who think that Australians are rude. There are (even!) people in this world who think that the English are rude. You could continue that through every country the UN has ever heard of. It just means that there are people who believe that their own local mores trump those of anyone else on the planet.

I first visited France fifty-odd years ago and for the last 6 years I've been living here. I've been

So what does it prove other than the fact that you had good experience in france.

Did I say that? What I said was that it is no worse than any of the numerous other counties I've visited on several continents.

What I would say is that if France were a particularly 'rude' country I would have expected to have noticed by now.

to quite a few countries around the world and I can't say that any is particularly worse than others when it comes to 'rudeness'. Some have different cultural norms that differ from what an anglophone would expect, but that is something that even slightly experienced travellers soon get used to.

On the other hand, travellers from some countries have a generally poor reputation around the world because they assume that the way they do things at home is OK everywhere else -- stuff like failing to say 'please' or 'thank you' in shops and not making the slightest effort to communicate other than by shouting.

Having lived in japan for 8 years or so, i think japanese people (many of them ) are rude. They just do not realize that they are rude because everyone does it and it seems to be a norm to them.

So you believe that the cultural norms wherever you come from are more 'correct' than in Japan, or wherever else you might be? Do you want to be a missionary when you grow up?

But then this is my experience , not necessarily the experience of most of the people who visit there.

But your opinion is automatically more accurate?

You may also have good experience in france that others do not agree with.

Could be all sorts of reasons for that. I find that people react well when you treat them well. Maybe I find that people around the world are generally pretty polite because I treat them civilly, until such time as they may individually lead me to behave otherwise.

Out of interest, just how much personal experience do you have of France, either as a visitor or as a resident? Your statement appears to be based more on hearsay than any first-hand knowledge.

Based on this france do seem to be rude. Which correlate with other things i heard too.

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.
Most people are more interested in the picture than the image.

AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow