Is the Panasonic 14-45 the best "kit" zoom?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,062Gear list
Like?
Re: Some Sort of Comparison.
In reply to eques, 8 months ago

eques wrote:

Anders W wrote:

s_grins wrote:

I guess I know what went wrong:

OIS was "ON"

That wouldn't be my guess. The OIS of the 14-45 performs very well in my experience.

I went and took the same series again, but with 14-45 I got nearer to the subject to give it the same chances when comparing to the 50mm Minolta.

Yes, s_grins, OIS was "ON", now I tried both with OIS on and off and I can see no difference. And still, the Minolta is better.
Perhaps I should have tried MF? But then, I use the 14-45 with AF 99% of the time, so I think, it is more realistic this way.

If so, then I am afraid your 14-45 is not quite in order. As I hope/think you can see from the image I posted, a healthy copy of the 14-45 can do significantly better at 45 than your sample shows.

Wide open at f/5.6, where my sample was shot, the lens already does nicely except at the edges/corners. And if you stop it down just a little bit (as I should have done for the image I showed; I accidentally shot at f/5.6 rather than at f/8 or so), it will improve significantly towards the edges.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow