My new GH4

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,939Gear list
Like?
Re: My new GH4
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, 8 months ago

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

I agree with your first 3 paragraphs. Thanks for the clarifications.

I think that you misread the OP's comment about computer power needed to process 4K video:

"Just out of curiosity I tried shooting 4K video but when I tried to view it on my computer it was choppy. Don't know what I did wrong cause my computer is a new fully loaded MAC PRO. It can handle just about anything."

Although the MSI-GE70 has impressive graphics, with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M, I don't think that it will have quite the power to outperform the MAC PRO that the OP says that he uses, especially if it is "fully loaded". The Dual AMD FirePro Dx00s seem to be quite powerful.

I hope that you'll get a chance to use a GH4 soon AND to write it up for the rest of us neophytes!

Tom

PS I use a refurb 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 supported by NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 GB graphics. So far, no problem with still processing and minimal video processing, which I am just starting.

The problem is that a lot of editing software has trouble using the dedicated graphics card for editing. I bought the slighter more powerful but much heavier version of the computer I listed for $100 more.

The editing software I use will not work with the Nvidia 870m enabled so I have to rely on the onbaord graphics card and the quad core processor. I suspect that he is having the same issue. My onboard processor is plenty for it even without the use of the graphics card.

I suspect lot's of people with Macs will have trouble with the 4K footage. I have heard several people say that they can't get it to work with a Mac. It is a myth that Macs are better for video.

Dollar for Dollar there are more and better editing packages available for the PCs and the equivalent PC costs half what a Mac does.

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow