What do you think of this MF lens? wide open at f2.8.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
yfan
Forum MemberPosts: 74Gear list
Like?
Re: What do you think of this MF lens? wide open at f2.8.
In reply to yfan, 5 months ago

yfan wrote:

I am thinking about put it on ebay. It's overlap with my other lens. But somehow I feel reluctant let it go.

The photo was taken with a Vivitar 28-90mm f2.8 Ais zoom lens at long end 90mm and wide open @f2.8. Making things worse, it is coupled with a 20mm macro extension. The image is very soft and DOF is very shallow. I post it to see what is other's acceptable softness vis mine. For me an image does not have to be always sharp, soft image has its place. The lens at @f2.8 is mostly unusable except for soft portrait, this is first time I put it in action at this aperture.

The lens has been with me for 30 years. It's my work horse on FE2 camera. During film days, I found there was no need for sharper lens. I saw no difference compare with Nikkor 50mm f1.8 Ais, which is a good lens. There is good reason for that, the film was the bottleneck, not the lens. By the way, commercial 35mm films is only about 3-8MP equivalent resolution.

How this lens compare with my other lenses?

At f5.6, the lens out resolve the 24MP D7100 sensor with good contrast. There is some CA at edges and corners though. At f8 still sharp, but diffraction kicks in, just a little short of 24PM sensor limit. Above f11, all diffraction limited.

Here is some my comparison results (resolution and sharpness):

Vivitar 28-90mm f2.8 Ais zoom at f5.6

Out perform Sigma 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 Macro DC OS HSM (All in one) in all FL 28-90mm @f5.6.

Mixed/shoulder to shouder with Nikkor AF-S 55-300mm f4.5-5.6g ED VR in overlap FL 55-90mm @f5.6

Slightly under Nikkor 85mm f1.8 H.C. (non Ai) @f5.6

Slightly under Nikkor 50mm f1.8 Ais @f5.6

Slightly under Nikkor AF-S 35mm f1.8g DX @f5.6 - frankly I have difficulty to tell the difference. This is why I am reluctant to let it go.

However I find Vivitar lens' colour rendering is not as good as the modern lenses.

On ebay the model is listed about $100, buy does not sell quickly.

Thanks everyone for participating.

Here is a sharper version at f4. I think it's still soft on some other's book.  Which one is better? I think it's just personal preference.

yfan's gear list:yfan's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow