Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jambalawa
Contributing MemberPosts: 718Gear list
Like?
Tried a Nikon 1 for the first time
8 months ago

I had never seen a Nikon 1 camera in the flesh before a couple of days ago when a friend with one came with me for a bit of a bird shoot at Fogg Dam.  I was really impressed with the V2 - to be honest I thought it was more of a cool gadget than a serious camera but I really enjoyed using it.

I could not get over the reach when using it with the FT-1, a 1.7TC and the 300/4 - and the IQ was very nice!  We did have good bright early morning light though.  AF worked better than I thought it would with this combination too - but I don't know if it'd be up to for BIF with the TC and all that.  And why do people complain about EVFs?  It was great to look through!

I also played with my 105 Macro (non VR) with a couple of Kenko extension tubes on it - wow!  You sure can get a lot of pixels on a small subject.  The burst mode was really neat for handheld closeups as I could just do a burst when the focus was close and I'd get some sharp eyes in some of the shots everytime.  It worked fine for a while but then the V2 complained about this setup and wouldn't work for some reason (A FEe error or something - when taking of the extension tubes it was happy then).   I prefer Macros in MF anyways so didn't test AF in this mode.

So yeah I'm sold!   Will wait for some good V3 reviews and get either that or the V2 when I can afford it.. I'm really interested in the 70-300 CX too...

jambalawa's gear list:jambalawa's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow