Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dustinash
Contributing MemberPosts: 610
Like?
a7 focus system = AWFUL
8 months ago

So I was a first adopter of this camera.  I steered clear of the a7r because I shoot a lot of weddings and events and I understood that the phase/contrast dual AF of the a7 would be comparable to a DSLR or at least a point and shoot. I couldn't be more wrong.  Here is my experience with it:

• First major problem is that the cam is almost useless in very low light.  The EVF is way to grainy and laggy to be even attempting manual focus and so your left with AF.  AF is abysmal and will not lock at all unless you turn on the focus assist light which is an awful orange head light.  Flash IR assist doesnt work either because IR doesn't work with mirror less or so I heard.
  • False Focus lock.  This is the worst.  The camera has a very strong tendency to lock on when out of focus.  I am not sure why.  My only guess would be that since I am using the "large" focus area square (still single point but the biggest one) that maybe some part may not cover the face and instead nail background.  But this is major problem because I think I am in focus and am not and don't see it until reviewing shots
  • Speed of lock on is too slow.

It actually surprises me how poor the AF is on this camera.  I used to shoot a gh2 mirror less and it was way more reliable.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow