Why does the forum shoot the em-1 and not gx7?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,612Gear list
Like?
Re: Ignorance?
In reply to tgutgu, 8 months ago

tgutgu wrote:

Kirkdi wrote:

Beach Bum wrote:

Cane wrote:

These two m4/3 cameras seem like the two heavyweight rivals from Olymponic, yet the forum get 10 times the talk and traffic regarding the em-1. Why?

I find that a lot of people express their opinions based on ignorance of what else is out there. A lot of long time Olympus users here who can't be bothered to even learn about or try anything else. Hence, Oly is the best for them.

I have a GX7 and the GM1 on the way. The GX7 came with the 20mm f1.7 and after selling the 12-32mm from the GM1 kit I will have spent the same amount for those three items as the cost of the E-M1.

I'm sure the E-M1 is a great camera but all the research I've done does not support a cost that is over twice as much as the GX7 when you subtract out the cost of the lens If purchased separately.

I also preferred the smaller body size of the GX7 and the menu system.

Kirk

Then you don't value an excellent view finder, superb ergonomics, robustness, and performance. With the GX7 and GM1 you only get, what you pay for it, which is significantly less in both cases.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

The GX7 EVF is excellent.....it may be a little smaller than the E-M1's but it is still one of the largest...and in terms of resolution , is  there any EVF with greater res currently?

I would take the GX7 EVF over the EM-1 one any day (tilting does make a big difference to me.

I much prefer the EVF in my A7 but that is because of how it works with manual focus lenses, for AF lenses the GX7 EVF is great.

Ergonomics is subjective (I do have issues with the GX7 grip...pinches my hand sometimes and I often move focus point unintentionally or hit the Wifi button).

The GX7 is robust enough and better than most cameras...performance wise, the GX7 fares very well too.

As to worth, I am happy with the GX7 and would buy it again over the E-M1 anytime...silent mode and built in flash among other things....adding a flash to the Oly just adds bulk!

neil holmes's gear list:neil holmes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7S Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow