Street and Casual photography: A6000 or A7

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Dandrewk
Contributing MemberPosts: 708Gear list
Like?
Re: Street and Casual photography: A6000 or A7
In reply to sean lancaster, 6 months ago

sean lancaster wrote:

I wouldn't say to give up, but street shooting sure becomes easier if you're overt about it. Once you can gain the confidence to act like you belong there taking pictures you'l find that most people largely ignore you even if you're shooting them. I have yet to have someone get mad at me. I have a little piece of paper in my bag that looks like an assignment to shoot people out on the street I am ready to use an excuse, but it's never come out of my bag.

Be confident and act like you're supposed to be there shooting and enjoy the results . . . that's my advice.

I agree, but there is something to be said about candid, unposed shots.  It's basic human nature to become a bit self-conscious when you spot someone taking your photograph, and street photography is best when capturing subjects in their natural state.  I've done a lot of event/wedding photography, and the best shots are the ones when the subject was caught unawares.

There are some cultures where they do get a bit angry.  Most recently for me it was photographing street vendors in Hong Kong.  Unless you buy something, they will angrily wave you off and start yelling at you.  Other than that, I do get occasional suspicious looks.  I just smile and wave, and move on.

Dandrewk's gear list:Dandrewk's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow