Why does the forum shoot the em-1 and not gx7?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Joel Halbert
Regular MemberPosts: 489Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus has been in quality cameras much longer than Panasonic
In reply to Jeff Tokayer, 5 months ago

Jeff Tokayer wrote:

You are confusing the E-5xx design with the E-3xx design. The L1 was Panasonic's version of the E-3xx.

The E-5xx series was a conventional DSLR styled camera. I know, I owned the E-510 and E-520.

The E-310 was the first DSLR with live view. It was dismissed by DPR as nonsense. Go figure.

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is now discontinued...
Jeff.

Thanks Jeff, of course you are correct. The L1 shared design components with the E330, not fundamentally the E5xx - my bad. As Marty pointed out in a follow-up, the L1 was a significant design of its own and more than a "version" of the E330.

Aside from being a fundamentally useful feature, Live View was an important stepping-stone on the way to mirrorless. Panasonic's branding of "Live MOS", featured by Olympus in their descriptions, conveyed both firms' belief in the importance of this capability. DPR's lack of recognition of its significance? It was not the first time, nor the last, that new developments have been met with indifference in the context of current expectations. To their credit, DPR's reports and reviews of MFT and the Panasonic G1 were much more complementary and visionary, appreciating the significance of the new class of cameras.

-- hide signature --

JoelH

Joel Halbert's gear list:Joel Halbert's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow