Why does the forum shoot the em-1 and not gx7?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
bluevellet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,780Gear list
Like?
my take
In reply to Godfrey, 8 months ago

Yeah, for me, the reasons to choose Oly over Panny were the JPEGs, better compatibility with 43 DSLR lenses, actual availability in the shops (Panasonic has really bad retailer presence over here) and IBIS. It's great not having to think about IS when buying a lens. You can even push some Panny lenses with no OIS further than you would on a Panny body.

Software corrections was a sticking point, but not a deal breaker. The issue is slowly getting resolved with both companies. Still, even on my GF's lowly EPL1 body, I remember having the Lumix 20mm as the first lens bought outside of the crappy kit lens and the jump in IQ was quite obvious, even with some software corrections missing.

I don't have that nostalgia factor with Olympus though. Never touched an Olympus film camera. To me, the OM-Ds are ugly and boxy. The Pens, especially the EP line, I feel differently. I still do not care about its retro styling, it's just a sexy piece of kit in its own right with a nice hefty, metallic feel to it (E-P3/E-P5).

Never had any problems with the Oly menus. I wouldn't call them intuitive, but there's a certain logic to them that I understand.

bluevellet's gear list:bluevellet's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon D610 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow