V3 vs V1

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Scottelly
Senior MemberPosts: 2,178Gear list
Like?
Re: V3 vs V1
In reply to Wally Brooks, 6 months ago

Wally Brooks wrote:

I have a nikon 1 V1 and D 7000 and will keep it for now. My wife, a Nikon D5200 owner, just spent time with the RX 100 II. Sony is $400 less, almost the same functionality,(except for interchangeable lens, she doesn't care about this) and she will buy the Sony over the Nikon. Tom Hogan calls this leakage. We are moving away from Nikon.

It only makes sense for your wife to carry the Sony, because it is not the camera she uses when she needs to swap lenses. She has the D5200 for that. The Sony is lighter, and it probably captures slightly better photos than the V3 would. But she won't have the fold-out screen or the super fast shooting speed of the V3, if she gets that Sony. She also won't have a back-up camera body she can use with her Nikon lenses. The V3 gives her a light back-up that she can take with her, when shooting with her D5200. It also would give her more shooting flexibility, allowing her to shoot longer telephoto shots. These are advantages she gives up saving $400 and not carrying a V3, when shooting with her D5200.

I only make these points, so you and your wife are aware of them . . . just in case those things have not been considered.

If ultra-compact, super portability are the primary concern, and you really don't care about having the fold-out screen, then the Sony is probably the camera to go with. For a little more money and weight you get compatibility, shooting speed, and a fold-out screen. It probably doesn't matter that much. Saving the $400 means another trip to go shooting somewhere or maybe even a Nikon AW120 camera, which she can take under water! THAT might be a better way to go.

Everyone has their own needs.

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sigma SD14 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MoreNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow