Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
valenterio
Forum MemberPosts: 94Gear list
Like?
My new GH4
6 months ago

Picked up my Panny GH4 yesterday. Spent almost 15 hours trying to get some decent photos out of it - mostly indoors because I'm an interior architectural photographer. I'm sure most people will be very happy with the camera. I've come to the conclusion it's a video camera that shoots stills.  Not a still camera that shoots video. The bracketing has remained the same: 7 exp at maximum 1EV. I was hoping for at least 2EV or even 3 like the Canon 70D. So I have to shoot -4 then +3 to correct those blown out windows and blown out light fixtures. Kind of a pain to do for every shot when you're shooting a 10,000 sq ft house. Also the timer will not automatically fire off the shots like the 70D so I need to use a remote shutter release. However, I absolutely LOVE the manual white balance feature. It's a DREAM to use. Takes less than 10 secs. Whereas the 70D still has that archaic way of white balancing. It seems like you have to fiddle for an eternity when you're under time constraints. Terrible. I did see a little improvement in the high ISO department. I can go up to 800 ISO before I detect noise. The old GH3 was limited at 400 ISO. The GH4 shutter was blazingly fast as well. Another feature that failed me was the focusing. It focuses quickly but if the camera is not in focus it will still take the shot even though the focus OK green light was on. This happened twice.  Most cameras have a feature that will not take the shot unless the camera is absolutely in focus. The feel of the camera is identical to the GH3. For those of you who do not need the still features that I mentioned above, you may love this camera. Just out of curiosity I tried shooting 4K video but when I tried to view it on my computer it was choppy. Don't know what I did wrong cause my computer is a new fully loaded MAC PRO. It can handle just about anything.

Right now, it does not suit my needs. Unfortunately, I have to return it.

-- hide signature --

valente

valenterio's gear list:valenterio's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Canon EOS 70D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow