Here is a Canon 6D Guide for Landscapes. :)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
JoEick
Regular MemberPosts: 168
Like?
Re: Very nice
In reply to Jimmy K., 8 months ago

Jimmy K. wrote:

Johan,

I want to point out couple statements under shooting under the sun section.

1. Looking into the sun (or thru viewfinder) is not recommended with sunglasses, even 2 or 3 or 4 pairs, etc. Safe filter for direct filtering requires allowing only 1 part in 100,000 of light transmitted. For everyday users without the right equipment, the recommended method is to use live view.
  2. If using live view is not safe for extended time, then advising use of ND filter will put photographer into false sense of security, thinking that ND filter will prevent potential sunlight damage under extended use. Any direct sunlight, even with filter, should be kept to minimum.

http://www.racingshadow.com/planets/Sun/SunWarning.html

With a wide angle lens, I have never even had sun spots in my eyes. Just don't look at the sun directly. A 16mm f2.8 lens is just barely in the realm of cooking a sensor, so in my experience, a 3 stop ND filter provides plenty of protection from cooking the sensor.

This is just my experience from years and years of shooting into direct sunlight. I've cooked sensors before and have a good idea of what is needed to keep them from being cooked.

Shooting with a fast prime like the 135 F2 is much more dangerous than a slower wide angle landscape lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow