yyr
yyr
Senior MemberPosts: 3,317
Like?
Re: Panasonic 7-14 - Usage tips for UWA neophyte
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 8 months ago

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

yyr wrote:

Yes - but I am making the lens work for me; I would never do a shot like that at (say) 20mm. What you have done is to take a picture with the same composition you would use with your 12-40.

I really did think that was the point. Learning elsewise, now. My thought when I took that shot was that if I tried it with the 12-40 I would have to back up the street and I would end up with another building in the shot. I thought it was great that I didn't have to do that. I should have shot some comparison shots.

Well of course you can do that too but be wary about all the constraints of shooting this FL - distortion, relative size etc. You will have to bear these in mind when  composing. At least you know what to look for in the viewfinder.

Anyway, I'm getting the idea now. Thanks to you and Anders.

Since you mostly participate in the C&C threads you many not know Anders but he is really smart and extremely helpful, particularly when you are confused about technical details and are getting conflicting information about them.

We ALL know Anders

I'd suggest you go back and try and get really close to that building, point the camera up and try again. And when I say close I mean a yard or two away. When you try it yourself you will understand the difference better.

Okey, Dokey.

Think about UWA as a different style that is supported by the wider lens rather than it being just a wider focal length to get more in. Your pictures should and will look very different.

Looking forward to you response to my "down the block, with another building" misconception.

I'm on my way to look for it.

For the tyoe of stuff I do there's a few guidelines I observe

Thanks very much. They are printing as I type. I'm beginning to think I should have titled this thread "Usage tips for UWA neophyte".

You WILL get the hang of it.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow