Why does the forum shoot the em-1 and not gx7?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
krugman
Contributing MemberPosts: 933Gear list
Like?
Re: Why does the forum shoot the em-1 and not gx7?
In reply to Cane, 5 months ago

Cane wrote:

These two m4/3 cameras seem like the two heavyweight rivals from Olymponic, yet the forum get 10 times the talk and traffic regarding the em-1. Why?

To give a less flippant answer, I would suggest  some factors based on my own experience. Several things influenced me to choose Olympus over Panasonic.

One was that my local camera store, Dodds Camera of Ohio, didn't carry Panasonic at that time although they carried almost every other brand. Now, a few months later they are begining to stock Panasonic cameras. But at the time I was looking I had no chance to examine a Panasonic hands-on. I think Oly has had greater retail exposure than Panasonic.

A second factor is that I used Olympus Pen W, Pen D3, Pen FT, and OM 1 in the days of film cameras, and so I respected the quality and the commitment to small size that Olympus represents. I had no previous experience with Panasonic cameras.

When I moved to digital, I started with Nikon, then Sony, then Canon, all of them compact cameras. I recently acquired an EM10 for a specific reason: I needed one of the Oly lenses.

Oly has the only macro lens I could find that gives 1:1 reproduction, and that has a long working distance from the front lens element to the transparency, and that can be used in a camera with focus peaking. I need these three characteristics for my methods of diigitizing thousands of slides rapidly and easily. This lens is the Oly 60mm macro, an outstandingly sharp macro lens.

So I see three reasons for my own preference for the EM10 over the very worthy and perhaps even better GX7: greater retail exposure; a history of using Olympus film cameras, and the availability of a specific lens I needed. This lens might also have worked on a GX7 but that did not occur to me at the time.

I am delighted with the EM10 for general photography, but no doubt I would enjoy the GX7 as much; it sounds like a great camera and I wouldn't have to master such a perplexing menu system.

Krugman

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow