Panasonic 7-14 - Usage tips for UWA neophyte

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Abrak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,532
Like?
Re: Panasonic 7-14 - Usage tips for UWA neophyte
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 8 months ago

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

I have to get comfortable with the idea that my photos don't always have to be about capturing reality. The desire to do so is what spurred my interest in photography, though. But that was because my photos weren't as good as reality. This is about making them better than reality.

Two points.....

1) The reality of reality is that 99.9% of the time it is very boring. It is not ass though we live in war zones where the reality is interesting and worth photographing. That is why it is well worth getting very low or alternatively shoot from above often simply to generate a different perspective.

2) This is a personal opinion which I am sure others will disagree with. I dont think that the 7-14 'does reality' very well especially at the wide end. To me 'normal wide' ends at about 12mm which is why it is so popular for landscapes. By not doing 'reality' particularly well I mean this. Next time you are on top of  mountain and see a glorious view around you, you will probably take out your 7-14 and take a shot. But what I, at least, tend to find is that the 7-14 by compressing that entire view into a 4:3 frame somehow can not match the beauty of an incredibly wide vista.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow