Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,858Gear list
Like?
Lenses dilemma. Advice Needed. (long)
3 months ago

My brain is in a knot, so I could use your sage advice. I've been with Olympus for 10 years. The E-1 was my first DSLR. My current kit is as follows:

E-1/E-330/E-3 + 11-22mm, 14-54mm v1, 50-200mm v1, 40-150mm v1, Tamron SP 90mm f2.5, and Tamron SP 300mm f2.8. (Plus FL50, FL36, cards, cables, and various accessories). At work I have a GH1, E-PL2, E-P3 with kit lenses to play with.

Here's the catalyst for this dilemma. I'm testing a friends E-M1 (+grip) and it's a really really good mirrorless camera, but I'm not sure it's the way forward for me. Battery life, feel in the hand with larger lenses, AF tracking (though greatly improved over other mirrorless cameras) just doesn't have the same confident feel that a DSLR has for me. So in essence, the sensor on the E-M1 is a brilliant upgrade from where I am, but it's a downgrade or at least a sideways move in ergonomics with large lenses, battery life, and AF. Finally the price is out of the question unless I sell a lot of gear.

This has me thinking. The Pentax K5iis is less than $700 and I've come really close to deciding that this is the best way forward for me if I want to stay with DSLRs as my primary system. It gets me a brilliant sensor that is a bit larger than 4/3rds, yet it has the weather sealing, sensor IS, dust busting, and quality OVF that I value in my E-3. Basically, it's what I wish the E-7 had been (except for a fixed screen and enhanced HD video which are not deal breakers but would have been nice).

The dilemma is lenses. The high grade Olympus lenses are really good and I can't pump a bunch of money into the move. I have to sell to buy. The type of photography I do is varied: portrait (with and without flash), macro, and nature. But to get the 22-400mm coverage I currently have in just my 3 Zuiko zooms is currently impossible for my budget in the Pentax mount. Darn the Olympus used prices! I can get about $1000 for my E-3, 14-54mm, and 50-200mm. That buys me a K5iis + Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 (the new contemporary series get's pretty good reviews). That basically replaces the range of my 14-54mm but leave me cold on telephoto. I could keep the E1+11-22mm for wide angle I suppose or sell and buy a Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 with that money. Still cold on Telephoto. I'd like the DA* 300mm f4, but that's about $1000 too much even if I sell my Tamron manual focus lenses.

At this point I'm thinking I might keep the E-1, 11-22mm, 40-150mm and Tamron SP 300mm f2.8 + TCs. That last one will work on both cameras. Selling the rest would get me a K5iis, 17-70mm, and aftermarket flash.

What to do, what to do.

Cheers, Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Nikon 1 V1 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow