Panasonic 7-14 - Usage tips for UWA neophyte

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 5,266Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic 7-14 - Usage tips for UWA neophyte
In reply to Anders W, 8 months ago

Anders W wrote:

My "purple blob terminator" won't eliminate that kind of flare, just prevent it from going purple. There are other types of flare, from more diffused light, where it will help a lot though. You find a very good illustration of the effect here:

http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=45013&page=7

I had seen that as part of my pre-purchase study.

It will also help against purple fringing. But when you have the more or less naked sun rather than diffuse light hitting the front element, the only cure is to shield. I usually use my hand, or my hand suitably extended with something, like a gray card. It can be pretty tricky to do, especially if the sun comes from the right so that you have to use your left hand to shield from the right and you are shooting at the wide end, where the risk of getting your hand in the frame is greatest. It probably looks rather comical when you try to do it too. Glad I can't see myself when I am it.

Note that it may be difficult to spot the flare in the EVF (did you see it in this case when you took the shot?)

No, I didn't. I assumed the building had blocked it, and I didn't realize it could be an issue when the sun is behind. I thought the problem only occurred when shooting into the sun.

As to the distortion with cylindrical things going oblong, that's to be expected at the edges as others have already told you.

O.K. So that is why it is only at the top. The top being an edge, the same as the left and right sides. I was hoping that it was my technique that caused that. I will have to remember to be aware of that.

I was practicing here at home this morning and I see that I can see the distortion in the EVF so I will watch for it more in the field.

It's exactly the same phenomenon as with the arches in the example with the courtyard that I showed you earlier here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53520693

And as I showed there as well, there are (at least sometimes) way to avoid it when you find it undesirable (as I often do). Remember that it's fine to play with the distortion of an UWA but there's also quite a few cases where that may not be what you want to or should opt for. I prefer to remain undogmatic in this regard.

I will have to become accustomed to its quirks, the same as I am with the 50-200 focusing issues. Not every lens can be a 12-40 I guess.

BTW speaking of it, my testing confirms that 12mm on the 12-40 is NOT as wide as 12mm on the 7-14.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow