How good is the DA 20-40 compared with DA 21 and 35 Ltds?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
miles500
Contributing MemberPosts: 726Gear list
Like?
How good is the DA 20-40 compared with DA 21 and 35 Ltds?
8 months ago

I have the DA 15, 21, 35 and 70 Ltds as well as the DA 40XS.  I also have the DA 18-135 and 55-300 zooms.  I much prefer shooting with the primes from a weight and handling point of view, but it can involve a lot of lens changing. With that in mind I left most of the Ltds at home and took the zooms on our last big trip.  However viewing and comparing with my pictures from a previous trip when I did the opposite and took mainly primes, I found that I had got the better pictures on that previous trip.

The reasons are probably that the primes do give a superior rendering ( or at least I think so) and that you really have to think a little more before you take a shot when using primes.

I suspect that a lot of the lens changing is between the DA 21 and the DA 35 and the acquisition of the DA 20-40 would avoid that need, but question arises and maybe those who have the 20-40 can advise me - is the DA 20-40 as good as the DA 21 and DA 35 ( at those focal lengths)?

The DA 20-40 is certainly not cheap so I do not want to make a costly mistake.

-- hide signature --

Miles500

miles500's gear list:miles500's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow