Bokeh comparison between Sigma, Otus and Nikkor 58mm

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
HSway
Senior MemberPosts: 2,744
Like?
Re: Bokeh comparison between Sigma, Otus and Nikkor 58mm
In reply to Dibyendu Majumdar, 8 months ago

58/1.4G is optimized for night to give pleasing results when shooting points of light. It has very low vignetting wide open and is corrected for coma. I imagine for this type of images the sharpness can be relatively lower as it’s perceived differently. And I guess that they also used the lower (but even) sharpness at f1.4 - f2 to support the goal of achieving a pleasant rendering points of light reducing the imperfections. This type of detail sharpens well in the software to one’s liking.

I think (and Nikon too) that there isn’t a huge demand for lens optimized this way looking at today’s level of improvements in (let's say "generic") optics where , at worst, you can lose a bit of light (exposure) by a click or two stopping down which again is not that hard to compensate for with today’s sensors.

But the resulting design connects well with optimizing it further for oof transitions and smooth bokeh. With this characteristics now combined it has got better and real appeal with buyers.

Price, well, they know they would not sell many of these. So, you got say 50 buyers for 100% (of today’s) price. You can lower the price to 50% and get 80, maybe 85 buyers (I think I am generous here). Everyone can count it for oneself. The puzzles as to why some lens can cost this and they priced that one this have often to do with (different) levels of pricing that go by a different logic.

Bottom line to this could be that do not compare this lens to Sigma or Otus. And most certainly don’t compare large crops of charts. Unless for a specific purpose that is. It almost is ridiculous. The lens aims at somewhat different package in making images, and photography has many means to be expressed and perceived. It can also be quite a sensitive area so discussing seriously here raises the requirements for common sense and maturity or at least for willingness to do so. Let’s remind Nikon’s own words about their effort: "I am confident that this lens can be a very individual addition to the lineup of NIKKOR, albeit not the most powerful. I hope our customers regard the AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G as a "plus-factor lens" or "must-have lens"."

Looking indifferently seeing it more as a design I personally don’t like the apparent axial chromatic aberration the lens is suffering from. To which extent this is a necessity is hard to judge but would say it could be corrected better than this at this price point. I sold a lens (Tokina 100) or two I was happy with because of difficulties in pictures with this aberration. Often the only solution, despite some elaborate efforts eliminating it, would be cloning, if that possible or acceptable at all. It can affect oof rendering and in focus areas against brighter backgrounds also. Nikon generally don’t seem to be very concentrated on this.

On a more general note, Nikon certainly should update its 50/1.4G and make an updated serious piece of glass for this focal length and aperture. but that’s another thing.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow