Senior MemberPosts: 3,298
Like?
Re: Panasonic 7-14 - Usage tips for UWA neophyte
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 8 months ago

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

yyr wrote:

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

yyr wrote:

I should have said tipped back. Did you maybe lean back a bit to try and get the whole building in?

Probably. Is that a no no?

Let's just say it's not usually a great way to shoot with this lens.

But you posted your building shot where you are completely leaning back to shoot up towards the sky??

Yes - but I am making the lens work for me; I would never do a shot like that at (say) 20mm.  What you have done is to take a picture with the same composition you would use  with your 12-40.

I'd suggest you go back and try and get really close to that building, point the camera up and try again. And when I say close I mean a yard or two away. When you try it yourself you will understand the difference better. Think about UWA as a different style that is supported by the wider lens rather than it being just a wider focal length to get more in. Your pictures should and will look very different.

For the tyoe of stuff I do there's a few guidelines I observe

1. Get close to the foreground - close means no more than a few feet away if it's a building or sometimes at minimum focussing distance for smaller objects

2. Get low to emphasise the foreground or to shoot upwards and 'get it all in'

3. Keep the horizontal level in both portrait & landscape mode

4. Tip the camera forward to emphasise or create distortion.

Good advice from everyone on this thread - there's not much more to add. It will take some time, that's the case for everyone.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow