Why does the original 14-42mm have such a bad reputation?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ixon
Regular MemberPosts: 494Gear list
Like?
Why does the original 14-42mm have such a bad reputation?
8 months ago

I own both the original 14-42mm that came with the G5 & the 14-45mm which is going back to a seller on ebay because of a rather loud squeaky IS motor, when i first got the G5 i didn't even bother to test the 14-42mm because it had such a bad reputation of not being a very good lens.

But anyways after testing both lenses, decided i'm not gonna bother buying another 14-45mm, because from what i can tell both shooting RAW & Jpeg with both lenses on the same subject I honestly can't tell the difference in picture quality both lenses to my eye both look very good & sharp.

I know the 14-42mm isn't on the same level as the 14-45mm in build quality, but to me that doesn't matter, also i find focusing on the 14-42mm is a tad quicker aswell.

Maybe i have a good 14-42mm, but all the bad reputation this lens has been getting over the years are abit unfair tbh.

I do intend to buy the 12-35mm F2.8 in the coming months, but i still keep my 14-42mm as a backup.

So is anybody else happy with the original 14-42mm lens.

Ixon's gear list:Ixon's gear list
Motorola Moto X Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow