Using Photos of Strangers?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,879Gear list
Like?
Re: Using Photos of Strangers?
In reply to Lisetta, 8 months ago

I recently read a good article on the laws in Germany.   If it is clear that the main subject is a building, monument or something like that and the people are incidental, no release is needed.

Here in the US, I have seen newspaper and TV broadcasts of photos of me in public spaces (college campus, zoo) where I was recognizable.  No one came looking to get a release from me and I was happy to be included.  But I was in the background and not the subject of the photo, or only the subject in a general way, like one of many students enjoying the first warm day of spring at the duck pond.     In situations where I was more like a subject in a photo (like operating equipment in a laboratory) I signed model releases.  Later several people have told me they saw those photos in far away places like Washington DC as part of presentations to government agencies overseeing college or national lab funding.  In situations like my daughters were hunting Easter eggs at a city park and they were the only two in the photo, the newspaper asked for and got releases before running the photos.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A65 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow