Leonard Migliore
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,999Gear list
Like?
Re: Question for everyone about JPEG image quality
In reply to jackdan, 4 months ago

jackdan wrote:

Leonard Migliore wrote:

jackdan wrote:

Assuming the OP does not process her photos, should the quality of the OOC JPEGs be a main consideration? I would have thought that since manufacturers know most users of P&S cameras are unlikely to PP that the OOC JPEGs would be better from P&S cameras. My wife primarily uses a Canon s110, but the OOC JPEGs need to be PP. On the other hand I can get a pretty good OOC JPEG from my Pentax K30 by careful selection of the camera settings.

Canon has pretty good JPEG controls, so I'm surprised that your wife's pictures need more processing.

Yes the G11 and s110 have about the same amount of controls for JPEGs as my DSLR, but most we found are best left at their default neutral settings. Contrast and sharpness can be used to reduce the amount of processing that needs to be done and I can see where many people would be satisfied with the OOC JPEGs, if they use the settings to optimize the IQ of the OOC JPEGs to their taste. My wife would probably be shooting RAW, but she was processing JPEGs before RAW became popular and is perfectly content to keep doing what she is good at.

You gear list shows a G12. I imagine you shoot RAW with it, but if you are good at processing JPEGs you can check for yourself how processing can improve the IQ of the JPEGs. Of course if you have an ideal histogram and good WB to begin with there may not be much to do.

I do shoot RAW with the G12 but that's because I use Lightroom and there's no penalty for working on a RAW file. I find that the JPEGs out of the G12 are perfectly acceptable. My wife, like yours, has a lot of experience working with JPEGs and prefers them. So that's what she uses. And, in fact, she does improve them, especially with respect to color balance. She uses the G12 for copying her artwork and is extremely sensitive to any errors in color or brightness.

So I'm seeing the same thing as you.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow