a bit confused: practicality of DSLR vs non DSLR cameras

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,732
Like?
Re: a bit confused: practicality of DSLR vs non DSLR cameras
In reply to Sandy70, 6 months ago

Sandy70 wrote:

I would love to take out of the box photographs. I was considering buying a DSLR.

I read some articles on opinions page on this web site. Some senior photographers mentioned that compact cameras Image quality is as good as those of a DSLR, especially in an era where most digital photos will land up being seen on web pages. We are not talking about professionals who print. He felt the difference in IQ was not worth the pain carrying the gears around when on a holiday. He hasn't used his DSLR for sometime now. There were others too who agreed with him. There would be people who would not admit this since they already own a DSLR. Wanted honest opinions.

Am I craving wrongly for something that's going to be short lived?.

Would it mean concentrating on camera more than the holiday?

It's important to buy the right kind of camera. While I am a DSLR user I would suggest that not everyone should use one, nor should they expect that one will provide wonderful photos 'out of the box'.

A DSLR can be a complicated device, the first link in the process for someone who really wants to expend the time and effort to get the best IQ. I am NOT saying that other camera types can't do that, but generally the complexity of a DSLR is not intended to provide the best pictures 'out of the box'. Anyone buying one for that reason is bound to be disappointed.

I see lots of people for example raving about the JPG's of the Fuji cameras. That might be something that would deliver more like what you're looking for, if it is satisfactory in other respects for your use. (If you are shooting action or sports it many not be good enough in that respect due to limitations of the autofocus system.)

Be sure what you want and then buy a camera that will provide it. Get the right camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow