A6000 AF at the dog park

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
abdoozy
Regular MemberPosts: 232Gear list
Like?
Re: A6000 AF at the dog park
In reply to Ontario Gone, 8 months ago

As the OP mentioned, it's entirely possible that he wasn't doing something right. He's kind of a doofus. 

I haven't drilled deeply enough into the operation of AF, on the a6000 or any other camera, because I often don't use AF at all, preferring to take my time with composition and using focus peaking and zoom. These photos are not far removed from what you'd get handing the camera to someone who had never used anything but a smartphone and said "here, go take pictures of these dogs running." I literally didn't spend more than 30 seconds setting up the combination of camera and lens. I knew enough to use shutter priority, and zone AF seemed appropriate, and that's it.

Hyper-sharp photos from a moving camera of a moving object where the distance between camera and object is not constant are, almost by definition, extremely difficult to obtain. If a gallery exists of photos from another sub-$1000 camera/lens combination that does this better, I'd like to see it.

I would not draw any firm conclusions on the quality of the AF system in the A6000 based on these images, other than my earlier comment that to me it seems the system works pretty well and can't be considered "horrible." But feel free to use them to enforce confirmation bias if you wish.

-- hide signature --

yr. obt. svt.,
abdoozy
WSSA Member#160

abdoozy's gear list:abdoozy's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow