Nikon 1 V3 impressions (yes, have one atm)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 33,020Gear list
Like?
Re: Some key pluses/minuses
In reply to nunatak, 5 months ago

nunatak wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

[]

I see Fuji takes care of their user base. Ricoh is very focused on providing what people expect of them. Pentax does great features set/ergonomics at a great price (note: I know Ricoh and Pentax are now one).

having had several decades of experience with fujifilm, i will share they've always made top shelf product. they understand color as well as, or better, than any other camera maker. that said, i've seen them switch mounts, and even abandon their user base. at least several iterations. when the going got tough, fujifilm left. the same can't be said about Olympus. they've hung in during good times and bad.

Wait, what?  Olympus pretty much abandoned the old film OMD mount and then pretty much ditched 4/3rds.  There's an upgrade path but it's not really supporting that line.

I would in fact say, Fuji has been better here, at least in the digital era (don't know much about their Film era history except their FujiFilm).

historically, they've also made excellent optics for themselves and third parties (like kodak). i've viewed them as serving specialty niches, doing what they do well, but not too interested experimenting on the fringe. that's where nikon and canon excelled over the other camera makers. they engineered their way to success, serving the general photography market, and the specialty niche. this speaks to their virility and stamina in the marketplace.

I honestly can't agree with you on Olympus at all. That said, Olympus had a lot of issues at the company level and the camera group managed to finish key projects that they needed to put out, and that is very tough to do.

of course all things change. the thing to emphasize is that most cameras made today, have a fraction of the life-span mechanical cameras had in the era of film. the V3, will be replaced with a better V4. it may come down in price before then, but if it brings enough value to one's photography today, there's no reason why the current price point makes it any worse a camera. perhaps just not the optimal option today. carpae diem, for tomorrow is another day. JMO.

I partially see what you are saying and the first thing I want commend you is using what I am writing and putting it from your perspective as much as possible and calling your own choices. That's hopefully what I expect everyone reading this thread to do, because everyone needs are different and my perspective is very very different (first time Nikon 1 system owner).

I still think it's overpriced, but as you can see, I still went for it if only because it seems to promise something I wanted to happen and haven't seen happen yet for some street photography wants and needs I have.  So on that end I rather pay more if it's what I want, than less for something I don't want or is half baked for my needs.

I still can't shake that Nikon feeling I described. There's a couple of things they could make up for here.  My only remote hope is that they can listen and then have the management structure to act on that feedback and not get lost in internal politics/red tape.

-- hide signature --

design guy

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow