Is this the best I can expect from D800?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Grevture
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,924Gear list
Like?
Les, you ought to know ...
In reply to LesGoodey, 4 months ago

LesGoodey wrote:

Hello, I have been a professional photographer since 1974 working in the Commercial, Military and Education areas. I use Phase medium format equipment in my day job and Canon 5D and 5D11 personally. I recently bought a Nikon D800 with a Tamron SP 24-70 f2.8 for myself and after hundreds of shots I have yet to find a single one that I am happy with!

I have scoured the internet looking for information on achieving sharp images and downloaded as many real world samples as I can find and I have to say I don't think those are any better.

I am talking about hand held shots inparticular and although I'm getting on a bit I don't think I shake that much.

I notice that most recommendations are for higher ISO and shutter speeds than you might otherwise have used.

Here is a full size out of the camera jpeg for your comments:

Ok, let's summarize:

- You shoot hand held
- You use a decent but not exceptional zoom lens
- You show a out-of-camera jpeg as a example
- Your example is shot in drab, flat light
- You provide no information on how focusing was done, or where, nor any camera settings
- You do not really say much about exactly what it is you are unhappy about

Sorry if this comes across as rude, but both the very question you ask, and they way you ask it just does not sound like something coming from a professional photographer with over 40 years of experience.

The simple answer is this: The D800 is about as good as cameras get in terms of producing best possible image quality. If you do not get as good quality with it as with other cameras, either your camera is faulty, the lens is not very good, or your technique is faulty. Or any combination of those three.

If you want help figuring out which, you need to provide much more extensive information what exactly you are unhappy about, and provide more telling examples then a out-of-camera jpeg shot hand held in bad light with a decent but not exceptional zoom lens.

-- hide signature --

-----------------------------------------------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smells funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow