Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Moredsir
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
Sony or Minolta 100/2.8 macro?
8 months ago

I'm looking to get the 100/2.8 macro but (I think) I don't like the size of the focus ring on the early versions, including the RS. For a lens that seems to have a pretty large turn of that ring it's kinda small.

Ken Rockwell seems to love the first version though, including claiming the AF is ultra fast on his A99 despite Dyxum reviews saying the opposite. Perhaps I'm being too picky and that reviews of the slow AF are less relevant to SLT owners? I tend to prefer manual focus but on a 100/2.8 with narrow DOF sometimes that won't be an option, so perhaps I'm over thinking the focus issues?

Here's my summary/comparison from reading, have I got it right?

First version - all metal (including barrel?), slowest focus by 40% (only applicable to older Minoltas?), no focus hold ~$350

'RS' version - metal body but plastic barrel, faster focus (same as next 2), rubber focus grip, focus hold ~$350

D version - metal body but plastic barrel, much larger rubber focus grip, D (I have A77 so AF-D compatible not needed) ~$400

Sony version - all plastic, shorter, but otherwise same as the D (weird that it's same weight too) ~$500

There are a lot more first (and RS) versions out there, and since there seems to be no weight penalty I like the idea of an all metal lens. I'm rather uncertain about which version to get.

Prices above are Ebay with freight and of course just a small sample.

BTW, if anyone can suggest stores other than KEH/BH that do used and ship international I'd appreciate more sourcing options.

Your thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Moredsir's gear list:Moredsir's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow